In nearby village of Oyster Bay, President Theodore Roosevelt's beloved High Victorian mansion and Summer White House. Fully furnished with the President’s and his family’s original personal belongings.
20 Sagamore Hill Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771-1807
(Schedule visit in advance.)
Clayton Estate, now the Nassau County Museum of Art
Former Clayton Estate, a Gold Coast Mansion, and now a superb art museum, specializing in 19th and 20th century European and American art. The estate offers extraordinary grounds and gardens, and the well-preserved Mansion.
1 Museum Drive
Roslyn, NY 11576-1138
In 1919 Henry Clay Frick, co-founder of U.S. Steel Corporation, purchased the Georgian mansion that now houses the Museum as a wedding gift for his son, Childs Frick. Originally the land belonged to the poet and preservationist William Cullen Bryant. Longtime editor of the New York Evening Post, Bryant settled in Roslyn in 1843. When the Fricks assumed ownership of the estate, overlooking Hempstead Harbor, in 1919, they hired British architect Sir Charles Carrick Allow to redesign the mansion’s façade (originally designed by Ogden Codman, Jr), as well as much of the interior of their new home, named Clayton. A 1905 Princeton graduate, Childs Frick became a vertebrate paleontologist and devoted naturalist. Childs and Frances Frick lived at Claytonfor almost 50 years. Frick died in 1965 at the age of 81. Four years later the estate was purchased by Nassau County for the purpose of conversion into the Nassau County Museum of Art.
Hillwood Art Museum
C.W. Post Campus
Long Island University
720 Northern Boulevard,
Brookville, NY 11548-1300
The Hillwood Art Museum on the CW Post Campus at Long Island University. Built 1921, the property was originally the estate of E.F. Hutton and Marjorie Merriweather Post. The Hillwood Art Museum is the caretaker of Long Island University's Permanent Art Collection. Included in its Permanent Collection are works of art from Africa and from the Han dynasty of China.
Glen Cove, NY 11542
Leased to the residents of Glen Cove and Locust Valley, for $1 by J.P. Morgan in memory of his wife, this beautiful park overlooks Long Island Sound and has a picnic area, bathing beach, playground, walks along bluffs overlooking the harbor. It is located at the mouth of Hempstead Harbor and is the site of Fourth of July Fireworks and the Morgan Park Music Festival, a series of free Summer Concerts during July and August on Sunday evenings.
Also, see Old Westbury Gardens and Planting Fields Arboretum below.
Historic Gold Coast Mansions / House Museums Open to the Public
(There were originally about 600 mansions ... only about 100 remain)
Welwyn, the Harold Pratt estate
Crescent Beach and New Woods Roads
Glen Cove, NY 11542
The 204-acre, densely wooded preserve, Welwyn, is the former estate of Harold Pratt, an avid Horticulturalist. The preserve has four marked nature trails that provide access to a magnificent wooded stream valley, fresh water ponds and swamps, a coastal salt marsh, and a stretch of Long Island Sound shoreline. More than 100 species of birds and a variety of small native mammals, reptiles and amphibians inhabit the preserve's grounds. The preserve also is host to the Holocaust Memorial & Educational Center, which offers exhibits and other educational programs.
Old Westbury Gardens Museum
The best preserved North Shore Gold Coast Mansion, with extraordinary, award-winning Formal Grounds & Gardens
Café and picnic area available with views the Mansion
71 Old Westbury Road
Old Westbury, NY 11568-1603
Stately mansion designed in the style of an English manor house by George A. Crawley with gardens inspired by owner, John S. Phipps', English wife Margarita Grace. The mansion is exquisitely furnished with the family’s original Georgian period antiques. Acres for formal gardens include rose gardens, English-style walled garden, fountains and ponds. Opened 1909.
Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park
Coe Hall Mansion Museum
(Contains stained glass windows from Ann Boleyn's [Henry VIII's 2nd wife] family castle in England)
In nearby village of Oyster Bay
1395 Planting Fields Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771
William Coe estate, built in 1921 Known today as Planting Fields Arboretum, the property is renowned Botanical collection, conservatories, and elegant Limestone mansion with and Tudor-style detail. The entrance gates were originally created in 1712 for the Carshalton Park estate in England and purchased by William Coe for Coe Hall.
William K. Vanderbilt II estate now the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium
180 Little Neck Road
Centerport, New York 11721-0605
General Information: (631) 854-5555
Designed by Whitney Warren, the Spanish Mediterranean-style mansion's most prominent feature is an arched entrance tower which leads to the central courtyard. On display are many of Mr. Vanderbilt's original possessions and private collections.
Coindre Hall (and Boathouse)
101 Browns Road
Huntington, NY 11743-1852
Romanesque-style mansion built by George Brown in 1910, now houses the Museum of Long Island's Gold Coast, featuring exhibits, photography and other artifacts from this extraordinary Gilded Age period.
The Caumsett Foundation
25 Lloyd Harbor Road
Huntington, NY 11743
Marshall Field III estate, built in 1922. The Georgian style mansion was designed by John Russell Pope. At one time Caumsett was a working farm and dairy, and a self-sufficient community. The Field estate boasted polo fields, stocked game hunting, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, and a dock for Field's yacht.
Sands Point Preserve
The castle-like Hempstead House was built originally by Howard Gould and in 1917, became the home of Daniel and Florence Guggenheim.
127 Middle Neck Road
Port Washington, New York 11050
Falaise was built for Harry F. Guggenheim and his wife Caroline Morton in 1923. The architecture is French eclectic. The design is based on a 13th century Norman manor house. Furnished with antiques, many from the 16th and 17th century, the mansion also includes wood carvings,sculptures, Renaissance paintings and several important pieces of modern art. Mr. and Mrs. Guggenheim founded Newsday. http://www.sandspointpreserve.org/htm/falaise.htm
At the Muttontown Preserve
34 Muttontown Lane.
East Norwich, New York 11732
The Benjamin Moore estate built in 1923 and now part of Muttontown Preserve. The mansion is surrounded by a moat. Cobblestones used around the property originally came from the Chelsea section of Brooklyn, which is where the mansion name comes from.
White Eagle / Templeton / De Seversky Center
Old Westbury NY 11568
The Georgian-style mansion was designed in the Neo Federal style by the renowned architects Carrere and Hastings in 1916 for Alfred I du Pont. The estate was originally known as “White Eagle” The du Pont’s sold the mansion in 1923 to the Frederick Guest family, who renamed it “Templeton.” Mr. Guest was the cousin of Winston Churchill and the grandson of the Seventh Duke of Marlborough. Mrs. Guest was the daughter of Henry Phipps, Andrew Carnegie’s partner in Carnegie Steel Company. The mansion now serves as the De Seversky Conference Center for the New York Institute of Technology. www.nyit.edu/resources/restaurant/index.html
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news and special offers